Jodie Mann is a professional creative photographer and filmmaker from the Highlands of Scotland, now based in Edinburgh. Specialising in both commercial and fine art conceptual fashion and beauty imagery, Jodie has 5 years experience in the field whilst being entirely self-taught.
Jodie’s main interests were initially in makeup artistry, but once a need to document her designs became apparent, her interest in photography soon followed. After picking up the camera, using a sheet as a backdrop and a friend as a model, Jodie quickly discovered her passions lay in creative photography. In 2011, Jodie left school aged 17, bypassed University, and plunged herself straight into the commercial industry whilst living and working in the Highlands. During her time here, Jodie used the exquisite surroundings to her advantage; building an impressive and extensive portfolio whilst working alongside some of the best talent Scotland (and the UK) has to offer.
In 2012, Jodie began her journey into fine art when she collaborated with her sister Jocasta – a digital illustrator – to produce and showcase her first Scottish-themed exhibition the following year. The collection, titled ‘Cold Light’, featured photo-digital pieces inspired by the characteristics and folklore of her Highland home, expressed through the human form. As well as a number of the pieces being picked up by Edinburgh’s own Arusha Gallery, fashion and portrait photographer Rankin commented on ‘The Exhibitionist’, describing it as ‘raw talent’ as part of Sky One’s television programme ‘The Ones to Watch’. The UK’s leading art publisher, Washington Green, had carefully selected Jodie’s work from over 400 artists to be exhibited at their Castle Fine Art gallery in the prestigious Birmingham International Convention Centre August 2015.
In September '15, Jodie was hand-picked to take MASTERED's Photography: Mastered course: a 4-month intense online talent program led by some of the biggest names in the fashion industry, and headed by one of the world's most influential and visionary photographers in the world; Nick Knight. Following the program, Jodie was invited down to London's Park Royal Studios with a creative team from Scotland to be personally mentored by Nick himself, which was filmed by MASTERED for their new Collaboration course.
Jodie continues to work on her craft in Edinburgh, fuelled by a city steeped in history and stunning architecture. Though her Highland home will never leave her work, Jodie has immersed herself in the beauty and culture of Scotland’s capital city.
“Above all I am a visual storyteller. Through my photography, I explore the darker side of Scotland’s rich history, myths and legends combined with her nature and landscape. My work is a blend of drama, power, grace and mystery, which is predominantly displayed through the female form.
Within the space of my camera’s frame, my aim is to create images that go beyond realism and into the realm of something much more cinematic and narrative. Having lived and worked in some of Scotland’s most sought-after areas for TV/film and photography provides endless stimulation for my creativity. It is what enthralls me most and gives me the best ideas. The North has a unique culture and arts scene as well as landscape - that is what kept me here in the first place. “
· 5 years experience as a professional creative photographer and makeup artist, in studio and on location.
· Working and producing in a photographic studio.
· Working with and operating digital cameras, studio flash heads, attachments and other various studio equipment.
· Professional creative lighting and backdrop setup & design.
· Image conceptualization and makeup design.
· Creative video storyboarding, shooting and production.
· Professional creative and beauty digital re-touching at a high-end output.
· Digital Image compositing.
· Professional makeup artistry.
· Creating, developing and communicating photo shoot concepts with a team.
· Time management and organisation of photo shoots: working with agencies, booking and organizing every aspect including models/teams, location scouting, all studio preparation, transport, catering and wardrobe.
· Creative directing and overseeing team members.
· Working closely with creatives including professional models, actors, hairstylists, designers, artists and filmmakers.
· Interpersonal and communication.
· Overseeing the safety of all involved.
Tie the Knot Scotland (May, September 2016)
Digital Camera World Magazine (December issue 2015)
Edinburgh Evening News (August 2015)
Professional Beauty Magazine (April 2015)
Glimmer Magazine (February 2015)
MOST Magazine (Jan/Feb 2015)
Devour Magazine (January 2015)
GUM Magazine (December 2014)
Amour Fou Magazine (December 2013, November 2014, December 2014)
Dark Beauty Magazine (November 2014)
Scratch Magazine (October 2012, August 2014)
Atlas Magazine (June 2014)
Guild News Magazine (May 2014
Nail File Magazine (May 2014)
I-ON Magazine (March 2014)
The Times Newspaper (December 14, 2013)
ICA Magazine (July 1st 2013)
Strathspey Herald Newspaper (June 27th 2013)
L'image Magazine (August 2012)
Kindred Sole Magazine (October 2011)